Business skills come down to the basic skill of communication. And what makes someone good at communication? Being a good listener. If you can show someone, whether it be your boss, employee, coworker or client, that you care about what they are saying, it will get you a long way. Here a five tips on how to become a better listener:
- Show your engagement. This includes nonverbal communication. It’s not only about what you say, but your body language as well.
- Ask questions. This will not only show the other person that you are listening and paying attention, but that you really do want to know what’s going. If you didn’t hear something, ask them to repeat.
- Acknowledge feelings. This is important, especially when you don’t necessarily agree with what they have to say.
- Keep eye contact. It shows that you are listening and engaged in what they are saying instead of being distracted by things around you.
- Just listen. By this I mean don’t interrupt, don’t rush them and don’t try to offer up a bunch of solutions. Be present in the conversation and just listen.