You have a LinkedIn profile. Maybe because you read about it online or someone wanted to connect so you created a page. But do you know how to get the best our of it? LinkedIn is a great way to meet new people, connect with old colleagues, and get a job. Here are 5 tips to help you with LinkedIn. If you want more tips, you can find them here.
- Edit your URL. This is the link to your profile page. http://www.linkedin.com/whatever-you-want-it-to-say. You can make it your name, your business, or anything you want. It looks cleaner than random letters and numbers and way easier to remember. For instructions on how to change your URL, click here.
- Professional Headline. This is the sentence that is displayed below your name. The default is your current job title, but it’s not the requirement. This can say anything you want, so get creative! Instead of writing you job, write what you do. Do you solve problems? Do you help people? Do you create something? This gives you more personality and shows what your job means. For instructions for changing your professional headline, click here.
- Sending a Connection Request. When you ask someone to connect, especially someone you don’t know very well, customize your message. LinkedIn allows you to change the message from the default “I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.” This is boring and impersonal. Remind them how you know them and why you want to connect. Here are 6 more approaches to sending an interesting invite.
- Notify your Network. When you change something on your LinkedIn profile, your connections see it in their feed. This can be annoying, especially if you’re making minor changes. You can turn this feature off, so you can make changes in private. Don’t forget to turn it back on, however, when you make a major change like changing jobs or adding a certification. To turn this on and off, check out the instructions here.
- LinkedIn Blog. Keep up to date on LinkedIn tips and tricks on the LinkedIn blog. They frequently post about techniques and other professional advise. Check the blog every so often to stay recent on new developments on the site.
LinkedIn is a great way to connect professionally and easily. Take advantage of these tips and share any tips you have with us!