It happens sometimes. You know you have work to do, but you can’t seem to buckle down and focus. You go from your email to your current project to Facebook back to email. You’re not being productive but what can you do? Here are 5 tips to help you buckle down and get to work.
- Get comfy, but not too comfy. If you’re focused on how uncomfortable you are, you’ll never get anything done. Make sure your chair is at the right height and you’re sitting in a good position. Make sure you’re not too comfy though! You don’t want to fall asleep at your desk.
- Listen to music. Listening to music can drown out other distractions and help you focus on your current task. Pick music that won’t distract you, like music without words. Make sure it’s not too loud and not too quiet. Moderate noise levels are just right for creative thinking.
- Food and drink. Having a glass of water handy can keep you from having to get up all the time to quench your thirst. Keep a snack or two at the ready to fuel your productivity. Opt for some gum for a low calorie option. The action of chewing will keep you awake and alert.
- Use an app. There are plenty of apps out there to improve productivity. There are even ones designed to keep you focused! One app will break up your task into 25 minute sessions and reward you when you’re done. Check out this app and others here.
- Take a break. Sometimes you’ve done all you can do and your brain just needs a break. Take a walk around the office or go get some coffee. Relaxing can help you focus more once you come back.
It happens to the best of us. Sometimes we all need some help buckling down and getting to work. If you follow these tips, you should be back on track in no time.
What do you do to buckle down and get to work?