It’s tough. Working right next to the person who always gets under your skin. You can’t stand being so close to them and everything they do ticks you off. But what do you do? How do you get through the day? Here are some tips for what to do (and what not to do) to work with people you hate:
- Set boundaries. Make it clear that certain hours are off limits. You don’t need to be constantly available. Let them know you’re working and can’t talk.
- Headphones. If they won’t listen to boundaries, try some physical ones. Put in headphones to discourage conversation. Close your door if you have one. This should make it clear you’re trying to work and can’t be bothered.
- Listen & Repeat. If you really butt heads with someone at work, try to listen to them. Instead of getting immediately annoyed whenever they open their mouth, think about what they’re saying. Maybe you’re misunderstanding their tone or confused about the me
aning of the conversation. You can always repeat what they say back so they hear what they said. It might knock some sense into them.
Talk behind their backs at work. It’s so tempting to stand at the water cooler and vent about your coworker, but try to resist. You never know who’s listening and complaining could look bad on you. You also want to try to stay positive. Try not to bring the energy down with complaining. Think positive and feel positive.
- Lose your cool. Stay calm. Yelling at your coworker may seem a good idea at the time, but could come back to haunt you. Try to deal with the problem in a more constructive manner. Your other coworkers will thank you for it.
- Let it consume you. Don’t dwell on your hatred for this person. You don’t have to get along with everyone but try to not let it ruin your day. Ignore the person as much as you can and distract yourself with work.
It can be hard working with people you hate, but it’s something you just have to deal with. Try some of these tips to make your day a little better!
What do you do to deal with coworkers you hate?