What is a personal brand? It’s what makes you, you. It’s what people think of when they hear your name. So why would you want to develop your personal brand? So you can help decide what people think about when your name comes up in conversation. You can shape yourself in peoples’ minds. Who wouldn’t want to do that? Here are some important things to know about personal branding.
- Try things on. You don’t have to know everything about yourself and your brand right away. Test some things out, try some things on to see what works for you. Mock up some different business cards and test out your tag lines on a friends to see how they feel. Then you can find something that feels like you.
- Express yourself online. A great way to show off your personal brand is with social media. If you don’t already have one, create Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts. These are platforms meant to broadcast yourself to the world. Create a website for yourself and link your social media sites to the homepage. That way when people search you (and they will) you can control what they see.
- Find your strengths. You know what you’re good at, in business and personal settings. Write about it. Start a personal blog about things you’re knowledgable of and things you’re passionate about. It might even be fun. Share personal experiences and business insights and maybe even gain some business networks from it.
- Network. This is a no brainer. Connect with everyone you can. Whether this is on social media or in person, it’s important to make your personal network as expansive as possible. You’ve worked hard establishing your brand, so show it off!
- Be consistent. Make sure your brand is consistent across all platforms. From Twitter to your blog to your website to your business cards. Make conscious effort to aline all these aspects to blend seamlessly into a brand. Be able to talk confidently about your brand and know what it means to be you.
It might be intimidating trying to figure out who you are and how to tell the world. But start with little steps and eventually build your personal brand into something you can be proud of.
How do you build your personal brand?